Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Week 7

One of the most important things I learned this summer, throughout the seven weeks I worked at Wellspring, was how important sleep is for me.  I have never been one of those girls that can stay up till 3 and sleep till 12, nor am I the kind of girl who is chipper in the morning after less than 8 hours of sleep.  I am the type of person that needs their 8 hours or more, and needs a deep restful sleep, especially with this type of job.  The problem with working at a camp though, is that a good night's sleep can be few and far between.  There will be night when we are "on duty" and supposed to be patrolling the floors, checking that lights are off, and that campers are asleep and in bed.  These nights would require us to stay up till 11 or so and while this does not seem late, it could sometimes be hard to fall asleep after this was over.  Also we needed to be up by about 6:20 to get all our campers up as well to be out the door by 7:15 and ready fr walk at 7:30.  I loved the morning walks I had after a full night's rest; however, there were a couple mornings that my coffee was an invaluable resource.  I found that for the night's I couldn't get to bed, or something came up, that the coffee was my saving grace.
     Realizing this about myself was important.  I found I was incredibly grounchy and cranky and just looking forward to going to bed again when I did not sleep, and that I was happy, relaxed and content when I was able to get a full 8 hours or more.  I realize that while I love working at a camp, my job in the future must be one that does not require me to work overtime, and one that I can leave when the day ends at work.  Sleep is such a vital part of human functioning, and I have learned this summer that without it I did not perform well at my job, or feel well emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment