This last week was a bit hectic at my internship site since we were preparing for Family Workshop Weekend and the new campers that were arriving. Family workshop went well and it was great getting to know some of the parents of campers that I have worked with. I did a presentation with the other fitness instructor where we showed a power point to parents on what we do at Wellspring for exercise activities, what barriers there could be, and how we encourage campers to try a variety of sports and fitness activities before returning home to help them find what they like. I loved doing these slides for the parents because it helped demonstrate what the campers might have been feeling before Wellspring and how once at camp, they are able to try new activities in a safe, fun and non-judgmental environment. The campers I work with don't discuss it often, but they are often picked on in school for their weight. This teasing can lead to lowered self-esteem and as a result, they are much less likely to head to a local gym to try a new class or want to sign up for their local soccer league.
In the exercise classes I teach, kickboxing, Pilates and glutes & buns, I try and instill a sense of power and confidence among the campers. Whether its blasting Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger" during a kickboxing class, or going around to individually correct form, my goal is for the campers to gain a sense of confidence and control over not only their workouts, but also their bodies. Wellspring's goal is to "Aim for 0" fat grams and tries not to push an exact caloric requirement for each camper, but it is implied that by eating low density, high protein foods, fruits and vegetables, and lots of good carbohydrates, that they will naturally be eating significantly less calories than when they began at Wellspring. I love this program because I know from personal experience that it is sustainable. I started my summer when I was turning 17 at 194 pounds and only 5'5. I was obese for my height and I had noticeably less energy. While it has been six years since I began my journey towards becoming a long-term weight controller, I can say without a doubt that while this program seems rigid and strict, it works. I am now in my early twenties, a healthy weight, and have developed a love for healthy eating and exercise that I could not have achieved had I not started this program.
Each day I spend here starts for me, with waking up at 6:30 and then starting the walk, and going all day doing activities, teaching classes, playing with the kids, until 10:00 at night. It is an exceptionally long day, but I can say without hesitation its one of the most rewarding opportunities I could ask for.
No comments:
Post a Comment