Thursday, July 26, 2012

Week 5 Wellspring Wisconsin (home from camp)

Coming home from camp was a hard adjustment in some ways, gathering stuff, getting used to having free time (lol), but all in all it is lovely to be back home.  I feel like I can take a big breath and relax, and not fret about family etc. while thousands of miles away from home.  The timing, sadly in many ways, actually worked out well for my family.  My mother is flying out to Philadelphia early next week as soon as she can to take care of my aunt who is not doing well with chemotherapy, so I will need to be home to take care of our puppy and little brother (who is 6'4' and looks older than I do).  It is not to say I am happy any of this is going on, but I am truly thankful my job and internship worked out and in a way, required so many hours of me.
    Last week was very tiring with packing up all my things, shipping them across the country without a car, and then flying home with a 3 hour flight delay (so fun...), but it is wonderful seeing my friends and family again.  I found last week was sad in many ways leaving my fellow staff and campers, but it was wonderful closure in that I was able to celebrate with the staff and affirmations from campers.  One of the things that was hardest for me when I was leaving, was hearing our campers before dinner at dinner circle, share affirmations with me on my last night at camp.  I am not someone who likes to cry and especially not someone that likes to cry in public, but what the campers shared with me about not only how much they will miss me, but how much I have touched them this summer, was so heartwarming.  The fact that I was able to help motivate boys and girls to do what I have done as a weight controller is truly amazing for me to hear, but it was even more touching to hear that there were campers who looked up to me as a person.  The campers I worked with this summer were some of the kindest and most respectful kids I have ever had the opportunity to share a summer with.
    I am the kind of person who will think yeah marriage, maybe one day, but I definitely want kids, and this summer was one of those times in life that really cemented it for me.  There were so many different personalities, backgrounds, everything, that made each camper so individual and I really appreciated being able to work with each and every one.  There were campers that made me think "if my child is half as wonderful as you I will be such a grateful mother".  I certainly don't want kids in the next few years, but its always reassuring to work with incredible adolescents that remind you there is always good in the world:)

No comments:

Post a Comment